Back in early August, I was fortunate to be invited to meet Michelle Phan in an intimate press event during her visit to Melbourne as part of the Lancome masterclass series. I got to chat briefly with Michelle Phan, and whilst we were chatting I couldn’t help but staring at her striking gradation lip inspired by the pattern on her Alexander McQueen dress. So I asked her and her makeup artist for the list of products used to re-create this gorgeous lip gradation tutorial for you all! Except for the lip balm, all other products featured in the tutorial were chosen by Michelle and her makeup artist Molly Oakfield.
MICHELLE PHAN INSPIRED LIP GRADATION TUTORIAL
1. Apply a moisturising lip balm to prepare lips with an emollient surface for the lip liner to melt against. I used Sara Happ The Lip Slip as it has a tacky texture and provides intense moisture without making the lipstick slide.
2. Warm up a MAC Lip Pencil in ‘Nightmoth’ on the back of your hand, then shade in the centre of your lips creating a bitten stain effect.
3. Fill in the rest of the lips with MAC Lip Pencil in ‘Magenta‘, focusing on the main areas of the lips.
4. Use a lip brush to apply a vibrant rose pink lipstick such as Lancome Rouge in Love ‘Rose Boudoir 340’ around the outer edges of the lips.
5. Carefully blend the edges together to avoid diluting the gradation. Layer on more magenta or dark wine lip pencil if needed to bring back the intensity of the gradation.