It’s been a long while since my last skincare post – 9 months to be exact. The truth is aside from juggling a hectic schedule, I’ve also lately been on a skincare marathon running from one serum to another, and since I like to combine my reviews into one big post I had to draw the line when I counted as many as EIGHT serums on my “blog items to review”. As the saying goes, “serums are the busy bees of skincare” and with my skin starting to feel its age (early 30’s), I have been hooked on every serum that I could grab my hands on to see if it could bring back the best out of my skin. With 8 serums to power through, I’m going to keep the reviews to the point to help you decide if it’s for you.
ANEW Clinical Pro Line Corrector Treatment with A-F33
- What they say: Reduces fine lines & wrinkles, and helps skin to stimulate collagen. With twice daily use under moisturiser the result is smoother, plumper skin.
- Texture: Creamy serum with a medicinal scent
- My skin concern: Fine lines on my forehead and cheeks.
- My experience: It softened the appearance of fine lines in just 2 weeks, and my skin looks noticeably tighter and more supple.
- Price: $65 AUD / 30ml available exclusively through Avon Representatives. To locate an Avon Representative visit avon.com.au
- Limited GWP: Receive a limited edition silver beauty bag, dual action Anew Clinical Triple Eye Lift as well as the Advanced Techniques 360 Nourishment Moroccan Argan Oil when you purchase the Pro Line Corrector Treatment with A-F33 (gift pack worth $91.97 AUD).
ESTEE LAUDER Cyber White Extra Concentrated Bright Essence
- What they say: Specially formulated for Asian skin, helps correct and prevent three types of spots most commonly found in Asian skin: age spots, small surface spots and barely visible spots just beneath the skin’s surface.
- Texture: Creamy serum with an apple / apricot scent created in Japan.
- My skin concern: Hyperpigmentation from acne scarring, and small freckles that seem to multiple each month.
- My experience: Faded hyperpigmentation so quickly that I didn’t need concealer to conceal acne scars after just 4 days. My freckles are really small at the moment, so I can’t pin point their progress, other than they appear to be stable – not growing larger, and no new ones that I can tell. This is the second serum that I have come across in my lifetime that fades hyper-pigmentation this quickly. The other is the ChromaWhite TRx C-12 Concentrate which is actually more expensive! I’ll be re-stocking Estee Lauder over Dermalogica as it’s slightly more affordable and specially formulated for Asian skin.
- Price: $140 AUD / 30ml
SHU UEMURA Tsuya Youthful Radiance generator Essence
- What they say: Re-activates skin’s youth to reveal porcelain-fine, petal-soft, translucent glowing skin. Say goodbye to dull, rough and tired-looking skin.
- Texture/Scent: Viscous translucent serum with opalescent finish
- My skin concern: Dull looking skin.
- My experience: I used this every morning, and found the “lit from within glow” effect to be moderate in contrast to other serums I’ve tried, but my skin does feel softer to touch.
- Price: $88 AUD / 30ml
ESTEE LAUDER Re-Nutriv Radiant White Age-Renewal Serum ($280 AUD/30ml)
- What they say: Dramatic brightening benefits, provides instant radiant glow. Skin is calmed and soothed, with improved elasticity and inner strength.
- Texture: Creamy serum with a floral fragrance
- My skin concern: Dull looking skin
- My experience: I used this at night time, and by morning I find that my skin looks well rested even if my eye bags tell otherwise. But the most noticeable result was that my skin texture felt more resilient and more elastic.
- Price: $280 AUD/30ml
CLARINS Double Serum
- What they say: Boosts hydration, increases speed at which nutrients penetrate skin cells, improves cell oxygenation and boosts production of collagen.
- Texture: A duo-textured serum – one more viscous than the other. Amber in colour with a soothing aroma an oil-like consistency
- My skin concern: Dehydration and dullness
- My experience: My skin soaks this up at night without any residue, but during the day I find that it helps to protect my cheeks (the part of my face most prone to dryness) keeping it hydrated, supple and dewy. I am saving it for winter weather coming very soon.
- Price: $90 AUD / 30 ml
ESTEE LAUDER Perfectionist [CP+R] Wrinkle Lifting/Firming Serum
- What they say: Boosts proteins, collagen and fibronectin to improve resilience of skin. Delivers instant results such as plumped, smooth bright skin and long-term results such as re-inforcement in skin’s natural support structure to delay future lines and wrinkles.
- Texture: Silicone-like texture
- My skin concern: Loss of elasticity
- My experience: The most noticeable result is the diffused effect that this serum gives to skin once makeup is applied, followed by improved resilience. As the silicone-like texture makes it hard to layer serums, I recommend this as an all-rounder product for busy people that want only one serum in their routine.
- Price: $115 AUD / 30ml
CAUDALIE Vinosource S.O.S. Thirst Quenching Serum*
- What they say: Lightweight oil-free serum that diffuses water deep within skin to restore moisture balance and leave skin refreshed, hydrated and comfortably soft. Gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin types.
- Texture: Milky
- My skin concern: Dehydration
- My experience: Fast absorbing serum that delivers moderate hydration with no residue. Feels refreshing and if your skin is as dry as mine, I’d only recommend it for spring/summer weather.
- Price: $48 USD / 30ml
ALPHA-H Liquid Gold Perfecting Daywear*
- What they say: Weightless hydration, skin-lifting technology, an illuminating sheer tint and antioxidant shields to help firm, hydrate and brighten the complexion. Micro bronzing spheres release light reflecting particles for a “made to measure” glow. Glycolic Acid and Licorice work to resurface, brighten and refine pore size, whilst Matrixyl 6 – an advanced Lipo-peptide helps to optically diffuse the appearance of wrinkles and surface imperfections.
- Texture: Dark brown with shimmer particles that becomes clear once applied
- My skin concern: Dull looking skin
- My experience: I am now onto my 2nd bottle of this, as I got hooked on my daily dose of glycolic acid that is my no-longer-a-secret to clear and radiant skin. Best of all, there is absolutely no sting (unlike the original Liquid Gold serum), and it also gives skin a hydrated dewy finish.
- Price: $89.95 AUD / 50ml
Whilst overall I enjoyed using each and every one of these serums, only a few gave stellar results that noticeably improved the texture of my skin. My top picks go to:
- ANEW Clinical Pro Line Corrector Treatment with A-F33 for visibly tightening my skin and softening fine lines so I can stay wrinkle-free for a bit longer. And amazingly affordable too.
- ESTEE LAUDER Cyber White Extra Concentrated Bright Essence for impressively brightening hyper-pigmentation in a matter of days.
- CLARINS Double Serum for protecting my skin supple, hydrated and dewy. I will need you to keep at it over the winter months coming up soon!
- ALPHA-H Liquid Gold Perfecting Daywear. I’ll be buying bottles and bottles of you as long as you continue to work your glycolic magic on in keeping my skin age-defyingly radiant.
Products marked with an asterisk were purchased by me. All others were provided for consideration.