When I asked what your favourite lip balm texture was, many of you said that you liked your lip balms to be rich and moisturising. Some of you preferred a buttery finish whereas others preferred a slippery or lightweight finish. I was glad that there was so much variety in your responses, as it meant I could entice you with a myriad of lip balm recommendations to suit all finishes and preferences –
Did you know that the texture of a lip balm is all in the ingredients?
Next time when you shop for your next lip balm, take note of what it’s made of and see if the ingredients lean towards oils, butters, petrolatum or waxes.
- If you like a lightweight finish, look for lip balms with mostly oils with a bit of beeswax, like Body Shop Born Lippy Stick or Caudalie Lip Conditioner.
- Lip balms made with a mix of butters and oils tend to be more rich and emollient, such as Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm.
- If you like an super buttery lip balm, go for their name sake products such as Korres Lip Butter, Nivea Lip Butter but my favourite is Philosophy Kiss Me Tonight.
- Petrolatum will appeal to those that like a slippery barrier, and works well to protect lips on windy days or when you’re going for a run, but isn’t the most effective ingredient in moisturising lips beneath the surface. I like to use Rosebud Smith’s Lip Balm when I go to the gym.
- Lip balms with silicone have the added benefit of smoothing lip lines, such as Mecca Lip De-Luscious
- When it comes to medical grade lanolin, I find that Lanolips 101 Ointment, which is ultra pure grade lanolin, absorbs fully into the lips (how quickly depends your lip condition), whereas Dr. Lipp Nipple Cream leaves a long lasting film of lanolin on the lips that doesn’t absorb, but heals lips at the same time and protects a dry mouth while sleeping.
- If you like your lip balm long lasting & don’t mind a tacky finish, you will love Sarah Happ The Lip Slip.
How long lasting a lip balm is really depends on your lip condition and is personal to everyone. Having said that, I find the longest lasting lip balms that don’t leave a film behind are Uriage Bariederm Soothing Repaire Barrier Lip Balm and La Mer The Lip Balm.
I have been curating this list in the back of my mind for some time now & have been longing to put it into a blog post. It’s based on experience and not any science, but I hope it will help you find your favourite lip balm texture!