Further to my “behind the scenes” post, where I shared my lighting setup & a sneak peak of my study, this time I thought I’d share the contents of my swatch kit that I keep within reach in my “swatching station”.
- Camera: Canon Ixus 870 IS. I’ve been using this camera since the beginning of this blog, and it has served me well all this time. I haven’t used any other brand of cameras to compare, but I personally find the higher end of Canon compact cameras very versatile in configuring the settings as I don’t shoot on auto for my swatches and I work with artificial light.
- Mirror: I use a mini mirror from Majolica Majorca so I can see my lips reflected from the display screen. This is the number 1 reason why my photos are so consistent, as it helps me to ensure the right amount of light falls onto my lips in the right angle, helps me to adjust my pout for symmetry and make sure my lips are in focus.
- Lip Brushes: I alternate between Shiseido, Bobbi Brown and MAC. Sometimes I even use the lip brushes on the back of Chanel or Lancome lip pencils. I save my Shu Uemura Kolinsky lip brush for photography purposes like tutorials.
- Makeup Removers: To wipe down my lips I use Nivea Pure & Natural Wipes as it doesn’t leave any residue nor destroy my lips between swatches. I also use it as the first makeup removal step for my arm swatches. For heavy lipsticks, I use Clinique Take the Day Off as the second step, and if there is stubborn residue I follow up with Bioderma Crealine H20 to make sure my arm is completely clean for the next round of swatches.
- Lip Balm: I used to use Maybelline Baby Lips for a long time and briefly switched to Nivea Lip Butter, but my current favourite is Mecca Lip De-luscious as it smoothes lip lines. I save Molton Brown Pep-Rich Lip Booster for tutorials when I want my lips extra pout perfect since it’s so expensive.
- I like to use higher quality cotton tips (eg. Swisspers), but cheaper generic branded cotton pads.
I’d love to see what you use in your swatch kit!
Please link back to this post so that it’s easy to track down each other’s swatch kit!